My friends Warren and Jenny are off to New Zealand this year and asked me for places that I would recommend visiting. Other people have asked me for this in the past too, and as I was writing the email I thought that I should just put it on here!
I spent two winter seasons as a Ski Instructor on The Remarkables in Queenstown. I loved New Zealand. For so many reasons it’s hard to put into words.
Here is the list of some of the things that I got up to (and for your enjoyment a couple of old photos!):
Ok…. So in the South Island…
- Eat pizza at Winnies (http://www.winnies.co.nz/) I was particularly partial to the Chicken, Cranberry and Brie Pizza. Plus the roof opens. I watched a lot of Rugby here.
- Get a late night burger at FergBurger. They are legendary and epic. http://www.fergburger.com/
- Theres a great view from the top of the Gondola, The Alpine slide thing is fun and I also did a tandem parapenting thing off the top. Which was amazing.
- I worked and Skied at The Remarkables (also contains the lake that Gollum had that whole talking to himself scene in LOTR) and Coronet Peak.
- Go on the Shotover Jet boat ride. Charging around in a high-speed boat in a couple of inches of water through a narrow gully. Whats not to love?! http://www.shotoverjet.com/
- Wai-o-tapu thermal area – http://www.waiotapu.co.nz/ – really worth it.
- Hot pools and spa in Rotorua – http://www.polynesianspa.co.nz/
- Maori Culture – This was also very interesting to learn more about the Maori ways. http://www.maoriculture.co.nz/Tamaki-Maori-Culture-Village-Rotorua/The-Realm-of-Tane_IDL=3_IDT=4049_ID=23285_.html